Standardization Researcher (m/w/d)
DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH (DOCOMO Euro-Labs) was established in November 2000 in Munich, Germany. DOCOMO Euro-Labs’ mission is to contribute to the evolution of future mobile systems. Important research areas include 5G technologies, emerging network technologies and architecture. As a part of its research, DOCOMO Euro-Labs participates in standardization activities as well as technology investigation and technology scouting. To achieve our mission, DOCOMO Euro-Labs takes advantage of its location and collaborates with European operators, vendors, venture companies and universities and contributes to standardization activities (mainly 3GPP and ETSI) and Verticals associations (e.g., 5GAA, 5G-ACIA).
Since 2005, DOCOMO Euro-Labs is at the forefront in pre-standardization and standardization of 3GPP Core Network (now 5G Core). Now, we are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Standardization Researcher to further boost our activities and adoption of 5G and next generation networks for vertical applications within NTT DOCOMO and the telecom industry at large. Together with the rest of the members at DOCOMO Euro-Labs and NTT DOCOMO Headquarters, we will make a change to further enhance and facilitate the development and deployment of cost effective, highly reliable and better performing mobile networks.
Your Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Perform DOCOMO Euro-Labs standardization activities in 3GPP SA2 (5G Core) in cooperation with NTT DOCOMO Headquarters.
- Perform back-office work and attend standardization meetings both F2F and online.
- Architect and engineer solutions suitable for standardization, with a focus on 5GC and its evolution, according to NTT DOCOMO requirements.
- Perform pre-standard research on 5G evolution and next generation (6G) technologies to enable vertical and added-value services.
- Develop robust intellectual property and increase NTT DOCOMO’s portfolio of standard essential patents.
To be successful in the role you must have:
- Proven experience in standardization of 3GPP Core Network technologies, defending proposals and collaborating with other companies in order to drive successful standards or solutions.
- Thorough knowledge of mobile networks (5G and previous generations), in particular of 5G architecture and 5G core protocols.
- Proven flexibility of addressing any network related topic with potential for standardization.
It is also desirable if you have:
- R&D experience in mobile network areas (e.g., AI/ML, Extended Reality (XR), energy-efficient communication, etc.) and the broader context of advanced networking technologies, including technical support or setting up proofs of concept/trials.
- Experience in industry research projects such as those developed within EU or US research and innovation programs.
- Knowledge of pre-standard activities performed within vertical industries alliances such as 5G-ACIA, 5GAA, 5G-MAG, etc.
- Knowledge of technologies related to the Metaverse would be a plus.
- Ability to work across multi-functional and cultural boundaries to deliver results and changes.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work self-driven in a distributed organization on multiple tasks in parallel.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills. The person should be a good communicator and should have good skills to present also to non-expert people.
- Strong ability to analyze complex technical challenges and passion to find creative/disruptive solutions.
- Be capable to adapt to new work tasks or work in new technical areas as the telco industry evolves.
- Strong excellence awareness.
- Availability to travel globally.
- Academic degree, minimum on master level, in engineering (IT, Telecom).
- Record in the above-identified technical areas is necessary.
- Fluent English is essential.
Email your cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Application closing date: 30.01.2023
Information on Data Protection for Applicants for employment is available at https://www.docomolab-euro.com/en/meta/privacy-policy-applicants.php